Well Spacing Mod

Zach

I am trying to leverage this mod via bringing in the deviation surveys; however, having trouble calculating the front-end data requirements in order to utlize.

Can someone reach out to me directly to walk through how I can perform these calculations?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Zach,

I don't have a detailed algorithm to give you. But essentially what you need to do is find the intersection point between a line (the well trajectory) and some vertical plane (the slice through the wells). The line is going to be composed of a series of points with x,y,z coordinates, and the plane will need to be defined using 4 points with x,y,z coordinates. All those points need to be expressed in the same coordinate space. It's probably going to need some linear algebra to solve for the intersection point.

Here's a Stack Overflow article that might help with coming up with the algorithm (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5666222/3d-line-plane-intersection). There are a couple of examples there of how to compute using Python. Because the well trajectory is a series of line segments, there will be the challenge of finding which segment actually intersects the plane, but a properly written algorithm should account for this.

Thanks,
Glenn