Well Spacing ("Gun Barrel") Diagram Mod - Data can be selected but not visualized (weirdly)

Go to solution Solved by Glenn Hoskins,

Having issues visualizing the data in the scatter plot after adding Well Spacing ("Gun Barrel") Diagram Mod. If I use the selection box and scale the entire plot it will select the data points that I know are located at specific areas on the plot.  It selects properly. The issue is nothing is present on the plot.  No data is plotted and filters are wide open. I have checked and rechecked ...... even set up new projects...... but still the same issue. Anyone else had issues with the data not plotting on the graph but still able to select? 

• Solution

Hi Kris,

Only thing I can think is that the Size axis is being set to zero so the circle radius for the wells is being set to zero as well. The point will still select in this case if you use rectangular marking. Like in this screenshot. I hard-coded this to zero but it could also be that it's mapped to a column with zero values. If it's empty, or a column with nulls, then it should still render using the default radius. The other possibility is that the wells are being colored by the background color, but that one might be a bit of an obvious suggestion.

Thanks,
Glenn

image.thumb.png.716508fa8fb4e22b11823ae1eb92cec3.png

Thanks Glen! You gave the road map to solve it.  In the Edit Expression for the size I hard entered "10" and it worked. It has something to do with the sizing of the data as you referenced. It solved the problem! One quick follow up question.  In the visual you show above........ is the highlighted table in blue titled "WellSpacing" the only data present in your visual (everything.... all columns and data)? I am trying to structure the tables in the same format you use. Basically I want to mirror your data structure with the data I will be feeding into the visual. Formation tops and all. Really appreciate all the help. This mod is a game changer for me!

Hi Kris,

Ah glad that got you on track. If you clear the expression entirely from the Size axis then it should just use a default size. But if you're happy with the 10, then go with that.

In the screenshot above that table is setup to filter by marking, so it's only showing the rows in the table that I had selected in the diagram. If you haven't done so, I'd suggest downloading the sample DXP from Github. There's a full data table in that analysis that you can use as an example. You can download that from this link. In the data folder there's also an Excel workbook with the raw data as well. 

That's great to hear you're getting good use from it!

Thanks,
Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, the points seem to be there however they can't be seen on the mod visualization.  I added a standard scatter plot with the same information next to the mod (images below), and when selecting the TVD/Distance range on the mod it selects the expected points on the scatter plot.  I tried hard-coding the size anywhere from 10 to 1000000 but still nothing.  Any thoughts?

image.thumb.png.e5e4a25768ffbbe939bc2ad4487af0be.png

• 2 weeks later...