Attaching Row counts to Automated Emails

Gregory Gibble

Hello all,

I am working on creating an email automation job, SQL and everything has been built and running. The main take away is that I am trying to add the row count of the report to either the subject line or body of the message. I was looking around and couldnt find much on being able to call variables in the subject lines and such.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gregory,

I have tried all sorts of 'tricks' to see it would be possible to add the row count into the title of a job (or in the description).
So far, I haven't been successful. The title and description are unable to use a document property (in which I stored the number of rows for one data table).

I will try to see if the Alert Framework for Spotfire can offer this option, but I'm not sure if they can 'capture' the document property.

If nothing is working, I would advise to create an enhancement request in our support portal: https://ideas.spotfire.com/

Kind regards,

David

Hi Gregory,

I have tried to use the Alerting Framework for Spotfire to see if I could include a placeholder for number of rows into the title or description.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to do so at the moment. Only adding a visualization displaying the number of rows (similar to a 'normal' automation services job) would get you the number of rows into the mail.

I would advise to create an enhancement request for this.

Kind regards,

David

On 5/28/2024 at 2:24 AM, David Boot-Olazabal said:

Hi Gregory,

I have tried to use the Alerting Framework for Spotfire to see if I could include a placeholder for number of rows into the title or description.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to do so at the moment. Only adding a visualization displaying the number of rows (similar to a 'normal' automation services job) would get you the number of rows into the mail.

I would advise to create an enhancement request for this.

Kind regards,

David

Thank you for looking into this. Where would I be able to raise a enhancement for this and roughly how long is a return on something like that? I know there can be no definite timelines given just more rough estimate.

Thank you again

Greg

2 hours ago, David Boot-Olazabal said:

Hi Gregory,

You can create an enhancement request via https://ideas.spotfire.com/.

I wouldn't be able to tell you any timeliness, as this is taken care of by our product team. However, if you mention the number here, we can all upvote it.

Kind regards,

David

Thank you!

Here it is: https://ideas.spotfire.com/ideas/TS-I-9634

Hi Gregory,

While I voted for your idea, I also asked our product team to have a look at the request (if it needed clarification, etc.).
And one of my colleagues came back with a working solution, that you could try as well.

When creating an automation job, you can use Insert Fields from the Tools menu. One of the options you have, is to add a document property. And that property can be your number of rows.
Consider the attached dashboard, in which I have added a document property (via an iron python script, which you can find in the attached dxp file).

That property can be added as per below:
image.thumb.png.d3d6699e6c07255eada89702044f29df.png

The mail I received shows then this:

image.thumb.png.4c9c2b86b51d9e724c726e87e5525784.png

Hope this helps you as well.

Kind regards,

David

Number of Rows.dxp