Hi, community! I have a quick question about decoding CAN data using DBC files. For those unfamiliar with CAN data, it's data files containing all kinds of car information such as speed, accelerator, GPS, VIN, etc.

Caleb Jang

Hi, community!

I have a quick question about decoding CAN data using DBC files. For those unfamiliar with CAN data, it's data files containing all kinds of car information such as speed, accelerator, GPS, VIN, etc. However, this CAN data is protected, and we need DBC files to decode and make a readable dataset. Please check the youtube link for a better understanding of CAN data:

I'm trying to implement streaming LiveView using StreamBase after reading the CAN data files in real-time. My concern is the speed and efficiency of parsing and decoding the CAN data. Here are the questions regards of my concerns.  

1. We all know that TIBCO is also well used for F1 racing. I wondered if there is any open library or operator for parsing logic for CAN data using DBC files. Since CAN data syntax and rules follow the same logic worldwide, is there a standard function in the StreamBase operator?
  2. What is your suggestion for decoding CAN data using DBC files, considering the speed and efficiency? I have to read DBC files once, store them into an in-memory-based DB, and read CAN data in real-time. (DBC file needs to be updated when the policy changes but not as often.)

Thanks in advance!